The season of parties and holiday giving is almost upon us, and sometimes it can be difficult to know what to get everyone on your list. And then there are always the last-minute gifts when you wish you had something on hand.
Tricky Fish – the best new restaurant in Richardson, Texas - has just the idea for you, straight from our kitchen to yours: Bacon Jam.
Bacon Jam is a simple spread for bread or sandwiches. We serve it on our Cheeseburgers and Fish Sandwich and have found it’s always a hit with its savory deliciousness and surprising versatility. The hostess who has everything will thank you for your thoughtful gift!
So how do I whip up a batch of Bacon Jam? Read on for Tricky’s Fish top secret recipe:
½ cup salad oil
1 ½ T. minced garlic
1 quart yellow onion, sliced into ¼” slices
4 lbs. sliced bacon
¾ cup dark molasses
1 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and cook raw bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet for 12-15 minutes. Bacon can be overlapping; cook until cooked through but limp.
2. Remove bacon from oven and lay out on a paper towel lined plate to cool.
3. Once cooled, mince the bacon into 1/8 inch sized pieces.
4. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until just translucent. Do not overcook.
5. Reduce heat to lowest setting and gently fold in the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 10-12 minutes while mixture reduces, typically by 1/3.
6. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
7. Once cooled, pulse in a food processor for 30 seconds.
8. Spread the finished jam out on a pan to cool. Once cooled completely, transfer to smaller containers for serving. Recipe makes about 70 servings.